Mode for editing patches?

From: Paul Smith
Subject: Mode for editing patches?
Date: Mon, 27 Jan 2014 15:26:18 -0500

So, I used to (in a previous incarnation of my development environment)
be able to edit a patch file and do things like add or remove lines from
the patch file, and Emacs would automatically update the unified diff
header info (lines add/removed, etc.)

I don't remember installing or configuring anything special to get this
behavior, but I must have because in my current environment when I visit
patch files I get normal "Diff" mode, which has nice font-locking but no
support for inline editing of the diff (as far as I can tell).

I'm sure I didn't imagine this.  Can someone suggest what I used to use,
or what I'd configured before, that I cannot remember now?

I'm using Emacs 24.3.1 on GNU/Linux.