Re: Should delete-window switch to next buffer when there is only one wi

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: Should delete-window switch to next buffer when there is only one window?
Date: Wed, 15 Jan 2014 00:32:03 +0100

Peter <peter.milliken@gmail.com> writes:

> No, I think it is doing the right thing. It doesn't
> make any sense for YOUR code to delete the only
> window that exists. If it just switched buffers (to
> what? what rule should apply in this case? A random
> buffer selection?) then it isn't doing what you
> requested - which is to delete the window.

That's true in a schoolbook sense, but: whenever there
is an association that something should do something,
and then that something doesn't happen, this
association is often sane, at least if it appears time
and again. You should trust your mind and instinct more
than Emacs!

The least you can do is pause and think about it.

> I think a bit more thought on your side should be
> applied rather than suggesting that Emacs behaviour
> change to suit you.

Ha ha ha, is this in the Lisp manual as well?! On the
contrary, it is much better to change Emacs than to
change your gut feeling, at least if the gut feeling
makes sense, in what case, why on earth change it?

But remember the other side of the story. If the gut
feeling doesn't make sense, you can use Emacs to get
rid of it by *not* configuring Emacs. That way, you
force yourself to form a new pattern in you
brain/body/wherever.

There are so many things you can't change in life but
as for your brain, body, and editor, you at least have
a fair shot. Don't waste it.

--
underground experts united:
http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573