Re: Cisco Router Tab Completion in SSH from Emacs

From: Bob Proulx
Subject: Re: Cisco Router Tab Completion in SSH from Emacs
Date: Sat, 30 Nov 2013 19:04:47 -0700

Esben Stien wrote:
> Barry Margolin writes:
> > he should use M-x terminal-emulator if he wants special keys to be
> > sent to the remote host.
>
> This is something different than M-x term?
>
> I don't have M-x terminal-emulator in my emacs-24.3.50.1, but I guess
> it's the same as M-x term.
>
> M-x term captures everything it seems, so it kind of defeats the purpose
> of running this inside emacs.

You misunderstand.  In term mode C-c is the key prefix when in the
default character mode.  And you can toggle between character mode and
line mode easily with C-c C-j and C-c C-k.  When in line mode C-c C-j
then you don't need a prefix.  I use term quite a bit.

> Is there no prefix or something I can use in eshell to transmit a simple
> TAB?

The problem with eshell and then using ssh within it to log onto a
remote machine is that it is always in line mode.

Try using TRAMP.  This is fully documented in the tramp manual.

  5.5.4 Running `eshell' on a remote host
  TRAMP is integrated into `eshell.el'.  That is, you can open an
  interactive shell on your remote host, and run commands there.

Try this:

  M-x eshell
  cd /user@remote:

Or just remote if the user is the same: