Re: RFC: Flavors - naming significant sets of customizations

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: RFC: Flavors - naming significant sets of customizations
Date: Sat, 30 Nov 2013 04:28:15 +0100

Rustom Mody <rustompmody@gmail.com> writes:

> It makes sense because of a basic principle of
> psychology: Tell people (about) what interests them
> and you attract them.  Tell people what interests you
> and you bore them.  [Remember your experience with
> writing letters to Linux Mag?]
>
> Which is why (something like) Jambunathan's list is
> useful: Tell someone "emacs is the most super-duper
> all-powerful editor" and they blink: Why should I
> want a super-duper all-powerful editor?  Show them
> how to solve their current problem and they will be
> all ears.

So this is just a PR-stunt to attract newcomers? Phew,
what a relief :)

As for me, I gave up changing other people years ago. I
never succeeded anyway. It is much better to focus on
what *you* believe in because that will never
fail. Every minimal piece of progress will be: a
minimal piece of progress. But this: what if you spend
5 years setting up all kinds of "suites" and they never
attract more than a handful people? That could
happen. Oh no. With *time*, I'm not a gambler.

--
Emanuel Berg, programmer-for-rent. CV, projects, etc at uXu
underground experts united:  http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573