RE: Seek dired command related to Copy

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: Seek dired command related to Copy
Date: Thu, 21 Nov 2013 10:39:08 -0800 (PST)

> In Dired, I'd like a version of `dired-do-copy' (which I'll
> call  something else), which, when pointing at a fileline
> of a symlink, copies the pointed-to file, rather than the
> symlink.  Does someone have such a version, or can show me
> how to use "dired-aux.el" routines to write such a cmd?

To write one:

1. Define a function similar to `dired-copy-file-recursive',
but which does not handle a symlink specially.  Let's call
it `dcfr2'.

2. Define a function identical to `dired-copy-file', except
that it calls `dcfr2' instead of `dired-copy-file-recursive'.
Let's call the function `dcf2'.

3. Define a command identical to `dired-do-copy', except that
it calls `dcf2' instead of `dired-copy-file'.

If you think such a command is useful generally, consider
asking Emacs Dev to add it: `M-x report-emacs-bug' is for
enhancement requests too.