Re: Precompiled Emacs

From: Phillip Lord
Subject: Re: Precompiled Emacs
Date: Mon, 04 Nov 2013 14:39:46 +0000

Okay, now I understand. This is a good aim, and would be a good thing to
do. You are right about wanting to test between point releases -- in
fact, for testing, this is more valuable than between major releases, I
think.

In a sense, I am not sure that I would be worried about speed of
installation -- as this is largely useful for package developers, and
it's a per emacs release cost (multiplied by the number of machines a
developer has).

However, given that this is for testing, from my own perspective, I
would prefer not to mess around with my main installation; that is, I
want my own version of Emacs and the rest of my system untouched. So,
why not compile Emacs, and then just launch it from the directory in
which it is built? To precompile, simply untar the distribution,
./configure, make, and then retar everything. This should be pretty
platform independent, doesn't require root, and if you put everything in
one place means a simple delete cleans everything up. It also has the
advantage that the Emacs in question is relative clean (i.e. not patched
by any downstream distributor) which is a useful test in itself.

Phil

--
Phillip Lord,                           Phone: +44 (0) 191 222 7827
Lecturer in Bioinformatics,             Email: phillip.lord@newcastle.ac.uk