Re: Precompiled Emacs

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Precompiled Emacs
Date: Mon, 04 Nov 2013 08:48:49 -0500

> I guess I could do:

> $ ./configure --prefix /usr/local/emacs-x.y.z --without-all --without-x
> $ make bootstrap
> $ tar ...

> ... move to another system

> $ make install

Almost.  You could use:

   $ ./configure --without-all --without-x
   $ make bootstrap
   $ tar ...
   ... move to another system
   $ make install prefix=/where/ever/I/like

Actually, you could also install it "anywhere" and then copy the
installed files to /where/ever/I/like.  Emacs will have a bit of trouble
finding its files, but there is code in Emacs already to try and find
its own files in such situations (used for the Windows and OS X builds,
IIRC), and I'd welcome a patch which extends this to GNU/Linux
(especially if it can reuse/consolidate the existing code).

        Stefan