Re: Precompiled Emacs

From: Dan Espen
Subject: Re: Precompiled Emacs
Date: Sun, 03 Nov 2013 16:30:38 -0500

Johan Andersson <johan.rejeep@gmail.com> writes:

> I've read the instructions in INSTALL, which are very good. I tried and did
> a build with:
>
> $ ./configure --prefix emacs-install --without-all --without-x

That prefix is not doing what you think it is.

> $ make boostrap
> $ make install
>
> The installation works just fine on the system it was built on, but when I
> move that installation to another machine, I get messages such as:
>
> Warning: arch-dependent data dir
> (/home/rejeep/emacs-install/libexec/emacs/24.3/x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu/)
> does not exist.

As you can see, you told configure your prefix was emacs-install
but emacs considers the prefix to be the full path.  This is consistent
with most other software.  The real prefix is
/home/rejeep/emacs-install.

You should really explain what you are trying to do because you are way
off base with your approach.

--
Dan Espen