inconsistent file ordering for remote vs local dired

From: gottlieb
Subject: inconsistent file ordering for remote vs local dired
Date: Thu, 31 Oct 2013 18:07:30 -0400

My systems run gnu-linux (gentoo) and emacs 24.3.

Consider a directory DIR with just two files: lower and Upper.
  /bin/ls DIR the files in the order "lower upper".
  emacs -Q dired DIR also lists them in the order "lower Upper".

But emacs -Q dired /localhost:DIR lists them in the order
"Upper lower".

How can I make them use the same ordering?

(Naturally, the interesting case is when using two systems and not
localhost).

thanks,
allan