Re: A question about face-all-attributes

From: Xue Fuqiao
Subject: Re: A question about face-all-attributes
Date: Thu, 24 Oct 2013 18:47:59 +0800

On Wed, Oct 23, 2013 at 11:42 PM, Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> wrote:
>>   (face-all-attributes 'default)
>>     =>
>>   ((:family . unspecified) (:foundry . unspecified) (:width .
>> unspecified) (:height . unspecified) (:weight . unspecified) (:slant .
>> unspecified) (:underline . unspecified) (:overline . unspecified)
>> (:strike-through . unspecified) (:box . unspecified) (:inverse-video .
>> unspecified) (:foreground . unspecified) ...)
>>
>> But:
>>
>>   (describe-face 'default)
>>     =>
>>       Family: Ubuntu Mono
>>      Foundry: unknown
>>        Width: normal
>>       Height: 128
>>
>> Why are the two results different?  I expected similar results from
>> them.
>
> If the results were similar, the existence of describe-face would not
> have been justified.  It exists to show you what the default
> attributes really will be.

Thanks, Eli.  But in (info "(elisp) Face Attributes"):

  An ‘unspecified’ attribute tells Emacs to refer instead to a parent
  face; or, failing that, to an underlying face.  The ‘default’ face
  must specify all attributes.

But all the attributes returned by face-all-attributes are
‘unspecified’, why?

--
Best regards, Xue Fuqiao.
http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/