Re: About `char' in momentary-string-display

From: Kai Großjohann
Subject: Re: About `char' in momentary-string-display
Date: Thu, 17 Oct 2013 22:12:22 +0200

Xue Fuqiao wrote:
> I tried evaluating ‘(momentary-string-display "foo" 1)’ in the *scratch*
> buffer and typed ‘C-f’, but the point didn't move forward.

I think it's related to evaluation in the *scratch* buffer.  Try typing
M-: and then eval the expession there -- it works as advertised.

But how exactly the *scratch* buffer makes it fail, I'm not sure.  I
tried to eval (previous-line 3) in the scratch buffer, and it dutifully
went up some lines before inserting "nil" (the return value).

Kai