Re: Is Emacs very alive, active and improving?

From: Kai Grossjohann
Subject: Re: Is Emacs very alive, active and improving?
Date: Sat, 12 Oct 2013 14:01:21 -0700 (PDT)

On Saturday, October 12, 2013 5:30:16 PM UTC+2, Drew Adams wrote:
> > > trust Emacs to be active and improving by 2018?
>
> > Emacs was written in 1985, so it will be 30 years old soon.  I
> > think it can go on another 30 years :-)
>

> It's really more like 40 years that people have been using Emacs.
> GNU Emacs will be 30 in two more years (soon, but not that soon).

Yes, yes.  Not good.  I was thinking of GNU Emacs but didn't say it.

I believe that GNU Emacs was never rewritten.  It was incrementally refactored,
and it's quite possible that every line of code has changed since the original
version was published in 1985, but what I mean here is that as far as I know
there was never a complete rewrite of the whole thing.

I find that to be very impressive, and hence I mentioned 1985 as the date.

Does anyone know whether this is true?  It would be quite the impressive feat!

Kai