Re: Is Emacs very alive, active and improving?

From: Tom Davey
Subject: Re: Is Emacs very alive, active and improving?
Date: Wed, 9 Oct 2013 17:30:29 -0400

Emmanuel Berg writes:

> The only group that I see a small hope for are
> professional writers, translators, and such. I don't
> know how they typically do their stuff, but I think they
> would *love* Emacs!

You are right. I am not a programmer, but rather a director-level business
manager who runs an in-house Web development agency within a larger
organization. I do all my writing and task management in Emacs. Org-mode is
indispensable. I spend most of my day working in Emacs and Org. Emacs's
extensibility is the other killer feature. I've taught myself a fair amount
of elisp to customize Emacs to my workflow.

So for me, the vim vs. Emacs debate is irrelevant. Emacs is far more than a
programming editor. When I show my colleagues what Emacs can do as a
quotidian business productivity tool they are surprised and impressed.

By the way, I run Emacs happily on Windows 7 in a corporate environment
that is 100% Microsoft. The native Windows binaries for Emacs are superb.
Many thanks to whoever builds them. I do not use, nor really have any need
for, Cygwin.

Thanks to all for the interesting thread.

--
Tom Davey
tom@tomdavey.com