emacs-nox (console version) - how to get menus to work

From: James Freer
Subject: emacs-nox (console version) - how to get menus to work
Date: Sat, 28 Sep 2013 08:56:34 +0100 (BST)

I am just trying emacs again before the new xubuintu install end of next month.

I seem to have missed the point somewhere with getting the drop down menus to work (using UK/GB keyboard). The help says M-` and another method is apparently
M-x menu-bar-open and also F10.

I did have the GUI version installed and then thought I'd try the console version - I am wondering if there is a conflict somewhere.

thanks
james