Re: Use Emacs to compose emails for Gmail web interface

From: Jorge
Subject: Re: Use Emacs to compose emails for Gmail web interface
Date: Thu, 19 Sep 2013 13:32:38 -0300

On Wed, Sep 18, 2013 at 2:07 PM, Dan Espen <despen@verizon.net> wrote:
> I use fetchmail and pop to pull email to my local q.
I you pull your email with pop then:
1) If you leave it in the server, it will be disorganized, because your mail
client won't tell the server when you delete email or move it between folders
(in Gmail, labels).
2) If you delete it from the server, then you cannot easily access it from
other computers.

I could pull email with IMAP, but I am afraid that the Gmail label concept
(one message can be in several labels) would not map well into emacs.  Suppose
message `m' is in Gmail labels `l_1' and `l_2'.  In emacs I will see l_1 and
l_2 as folders, and both will have a copy of m.  If I am in l_1 and move m to
l_3, will that work right?  Will m now be in l_2 and l_3?  And, what if
I want m to be only in l_3?  In fact, how can I easily see from
Emacs which labels a message has?

Regards

[the previous version of this email did not go to the list]