Re: Using emacsclient -t as $EDITOR from within Emacs

From: Suvayu Ali
Subject: Re: Using emacsclient -t as $EDITOR from within Emacs
Date: Fri, 6 Sep 2013 10:57:45 +0200

On Fri, Sep 06, 2013 at 02:59:21PM +0700, Yuri Khan wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 6, 2013 at 2:10 PM, Suvayu Ali <fatkasuvayu+linux@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > Hi Nikolai,
>
> > I'm very curious, what does this offer you over simple C-x C-f.  The way
> > I see it, emacsclient is useful to have access to single Emacs instance
> > whenever you want to edit something, so you can connect to the instance
> > from anywhere.  But if you are already in an emacs frame, how does this
> > add anything?
>
> Many external programs, most notably version control systems such as
> Subversion and Git, like to call an external editor when they need
> some intermediate text that cannot be reasonably expected to be passed
> via the command line or via a pre-authored file.

Yes I'm aware of that.  That is why I myself use emacsclient most of the
time.  The OP however wants to call emacsclient from an emacs frame as
an asynchronous command.  I fail to see any usecase for that.  If I want
to edit something from an emacs frame, I would just open it.

That said, I think one use case for emacsclient from an emacs frame
would be in eshell or some such shell mode, just call `emacsclient
<file>' and you can edit the file.  However that is still not what the
OP was asking for; hence my question.

Hopefully I was clearer this time around.

Cheers,

--
Suvayu