exec path

From: Klaus Jantzen
Subject: exec path
Date: Wed, 21 Aug 2013 10:28:00 +0200

Hi,

I am using 'call-process' in an emacs macro to call perl-scripts.

With emacs under Lenny that worked perfectly.
Under Wheezy emacs23 does not find the scripts and, judging by what I find in 'Exec Path' (customization group 'Processes'), that is understandable because the exec path does not
correspond to what is specified in the environment variable  $PATH.

It says in that customization group that one should not modify the entries in Exec Path
because that is unreliable.
How then can I make emacs use $PATH?

Thank you for any hints.

K.D.J.