Re: I wish list-buffers used my current window when it listed my buffers

From: Jay Cotton
Subject: Re: I wish list-buffers used my current window when it listed my buffers
Date: Thu, 15 Aug 2013 19:23:43 -0400

Is it just you and me, or do lots of others also think this behavior makes
better sense? (From a windowing perspective, that is. I can't speak to the
technical pros and cons of electric-buffer-list vs. the traditional
list-buffers, I just like that the former opens in the same window.)

I list buffers *constantly* when I'm working in emacs. I've always got 3 or 4
windows open, and I'm somewhat OCD about keeping things where I want them, and
the problem is that with such an arrangement, I can't always predict where
list-buffers is going to pop up the buffer list. I haven't studied the problem
carefully, and I assume it has something to do with the order in which I
created the windows. But I don't always create the windows in the same order.
Usually my arrangement just sort of evolves as I'm working, and in any event I
can't always predict which window will be used to pop up the buffer.

This difficult-to-predict window behavior has always seemed un-emacs-y to me.
And I've always wondered if I'm somehow "doing it wrong" since it causes me
such grief when my .emacs file isn't available.

Jay