RE: Unable to Jump to a File/Directory Register

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: Unable to Jump to a File/Directory Register
Date: Tue, 13 Aug 2013 23:59:29 -0700 (PDT)

> I have run into a problem with registers, which was easy to deal with,
> but I want to know if anyone else has seen this issue before.  I
> define some registers in my dot-Emacs file for quick access to certain
> files and directories.  This is the particular register that gave me
> problems:
>
>      (set-register ?f '(file . "~/.config/fish/"))
>
> Whenever I attempted `C-x r j f` Emacs would respond with
> ‘jump-to-register: Register doesn't contain a buffer position or
> configuration’.  However, it would work if I went to that
> `set-register` call and manually evaluated it.
>
> I ‘fixed’ the problem by just using a different letter; specifically,
> I use `?s` as the register now instead of `?f`, and it works without
> any problems.  Has anyone else ever run into problems with using `?f`
> as a register for short-cut access to files or directories?  I am
> using the following version of Emacs:
>
>      GNU Emacs 24.3.1 (i686-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.24.13).

I don't see what you see - it works fine for me.
Do you see this if you start from `emacs -Q' (no init file)?

If so, load library `register.el' (yes, include the `.el' when you
use `load-library'). The do `M-x debug-on-entry jump-to-register' and
the walk through the debugger (using `d') to see what happens. Before
doing that show file register.el in another window or frame so you
can easily follow where the debugger is in the code.

(If I had to guess, it would be that you are not starting from
`emacs -Q' and something in your init file or code it loads is messing
things up.)