Re: Emacs Calendar: change date of holiday

From: Carson Chittom
Subject: Re: Emacs Calendar: change date of holiday
Date: Sat, 10 Aug 2013 07:36:51 -0500

Enda <enda_k2@yahoo.com> writes:

> How do I change or remove a holiday in the Emacs Calendar?

Depends on what exactly you want to remove/change.  Here's an
illustration.  I am an Orthodox Christian, but
calendar-christian-all-holidays uses Catholic/Protestant dates and
feasts.  So there's probably some better way to do this, but in
~/.emacs I have

(setq calendar-holidays
      (append holiday-general-holidays
              holiday-other-holidays
              holiday-local-holidays))

This tells Emacs that the only holiday lists it should use are
holiday-general-holidays, which includes Father's Day, Mother's Day,
April Fools Day, etc; holiday-other-holidays (per-user set holidays),
and holiday-local-holidays (holidays set on the local system).

Then I define holiday-other-holidays to account for feasts and my
children's and godson's name days:

(setq holiday-other-holidays
      '((holiday-greek-orthodox-easter)  ; from Emacs' holidays.el
        (holiday-fixed 9 8 "Nativity of the Theotokos")
        (holiday-fixed 9 14 "Elevation of the Holy Cross")
        (holiday-fixed 11 21 "Presentation of the Theotokos")
        (holiday-fixed 12 25 "Nativity of Christ")
        (holiday-fixed 1 6 "Theophany")
        (holiday-fixed 2 2 "Presentation of the Lord")
        (holiday-fixed 3 25 "Annunciation")
        (holiday-fixed 8 6 "Transfiguration")
        (holiday-fixed 8 15 "Dormition of the Theotokos")
        (holiday-fixed 11 8 "Archangel Michael and other Bodiless Powers")
        (holiday-fixed 11 24 "St. Katherine of Alexandria")
        (holiday-fixed 3 26 "Archangel Gabriel")
        (holiday-fixed 1 3 "St. Genevieve of Paris")
        (holiday-fixed 9 5 "Righteous Elizabeth, Mother of the Forerunner")
        (holiday-fixed 8 20 "Prophet Samuel")))

Any others I wanted--religious or not--could be defined in the same way:
birthdays, for example.