Re: Sanest way to make emacs behave on a Solaris OS

From: Bob Proulx
Subject: Re: Sanest way to make emacs behave on a Solaris OS
Date: Mon, 5 Aug 2013 23:54:57 -0600

Dan Espen wrote:
> Bob Proulx writes:
> > (Let's not debate the shared login aspect.  Much of this was set
> > up decades ago.  At one time on local private friendly networks
> > that was very commonly done.  And this also applies to a single
> > user with different device displays too.)
>
> Shared logins?  Makes no sense to me.
> Where is the security in that.

This used to be very commonly done on local friendly networks back in
the day.  As I said, let's not debate that one.  It is just one of the
explanations for why we arrived where we have today.

> Anyway, since you brought up dealing with different monitor sizes
> here's how I deal with rxvt on different terminal sizes using
> xrdb and X-resources:
>
> #if ( HEIGHT == 900 )     /* Traditional Sparc */
> Rxvt.geometry: 80x55
> #elif ( HEIGHT == 1024 )  /* Sparc 21 inch */
> Rxvt.geometry: 80x65
> #elif ( HEIGHT == 768 )   /* Exceed in 1024x768 mode */
> Rxvt.geometry: 80x47
> #else                     /* I have no idea... */
> Rxvt.geometry: 80x40
> #endif

A good way to share a single .Xresources across some multiple
situations.

> Another person mentioned running xrdb and reading an .Xdefaults file.

Sure.  That works fine.  But then you can't use any of the extended
features available in the .Xresources such as your cpp processing
example above.

> A common problem with .Xdefaults is that it can rapidly accumulate
> huge amounts of junk.
>
> Here's how I deal with that in my .xinitrc:
>
>   cat $HOME/xdef/*.ad | xrdb -load

Very nice.

Bob