Re: Ediff error -- Permission denied (Win8)

From: Yeşim Erke-Magent
Subject: Re: Ediff error -- Permission denied (Win8)
Date: Fri, 2 Aug 2013 13:06:56 -0700 (PDT)

On Thursday, August 1, 2013 5:38:13 PM UTC-4, Óscar Fuentes wrote:
> Yeşim Erke-Magent <yesim.ev@gmail.com> writes:
>

> > It has been years I used Emacs so when I needed to compare 2 text
>
> > files (they are VBA macros, but I saved them with .txt extension. I
>
> > installed emacs (version 24.3.1) and used "Compare (Ediff)" under
>
> > "Tools" menu. Then selected "Two files" and I receive
>

> > "Searching for program: permission denied, diff"
>

> > I then open the files and tried to compare 2 buffers, but it didn't make
> > any difference.
>

> Do you have `diff' installed?
>

> > I have 64-bit Win8 on my PC and emacs' directory is under Users
>
> > directory, not Program Files. Could this be a problem?
>

> No.
>

> > BTW, I also installed GNU grep, but couldn't manage to run it through
>
> > command line. I then tried using grep under Tools of emacs and it
>
> > didn't work either.
>

> Is `grep' on a directory listed on the PATH environment variable? How do
>
> you obtained and installed `grep'? Same for `diff'.
>

> Please note that under Windows you either install the executables on a
>
> directory already listed on PATH or (better) you add to PATH the
>
> directory where you installed the executable (when you wish to execute
>
> that executables from other executables.)
>

> You can set PATH from the OS Control Panel or from your .emacs. See the
>
> documentation for `setenv' function and for `exec-path' variable.
>

> Also, Emacs has variables for finding certain programs on user-specified
>
> places or with special names. For grep, there is the variable
>
> `grep-program'.

Ediff already came with GNU Emacs (under the Tools menu).  Like emacs, I
downloaded GNU Grep.  Also, I installed cygwin.  I added the new directories in
PATH ( I found it through)

Control Panel -> System and Security -> System -> Advanced System Settings
(pops up System Properties window) -> Advanced -> Environment Variables

After installing cygwin I tried Ediff, I got a new warning

cygwin warning:
  MS-DOS style path detected: d:\Temp\Macro1.txt
  Preferred POSIX equivalent is: /cygdrive/d/Temp/Macro1.txt
  CYGWIN environment variable option "nodosfilewarning" turns off this warning.
  Consult the user's guide for more details about POSIX paths:
    http://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/using.html#using-pathnames

I tried to figure out what to do, but I don't know how to set up the
environment variable.