Re: Speeding up Emacs load time

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: Speeding up Emacs load time
Date: Wed, 17 Jul 2013 02:21:09 +0400

> 100% correct - a dark room, or even a dark room, *and*
> sunglasses... Man, I'm happy you understand me!

Sunglasses in a dark room is overdoing it. Just a bit. :)

> The web browser issue - well, you could configure Firefox but
> incompletely so. I use Emacs-w3m. That's not optimal, either,
> because all the webpages are designed to be used in a GUI setting
> (with different font sizes etc. to convey information). It doesn't
> matter how "good" Emacs-w3m gets. But it is still much
> better. (And the integration and configurability on to of
> that. Dropping the mouse and FF/Iceweasel improved my life a lot.)

Mouse is fine for "just reading", which I spend a fair amount of my time
doing. And, yeah, "dark" browser themes with light pieces sticking out
are even more painful.

IME, the main point is to keep contrast level more or less
unchanging. Eyes adapt to the lighting level relatively easily.

Lowering the monitor brightness level a bit never hurts, though.

>> Otherwise, the switching between levels of contrast ...
>
> I *know*, this is what a said - the visual reorient. Why do you
> think this is news for me? It is not.

Ah, ok. But overall, your whole workflow description likely means that
you have a *lower* pain threshold than Eli, which was his point.