Re: Speeding up Emacs load time

From: Jambunathan K
Subject: Re: Speeding up Emacs load time
Date: Tue, 16 Jul 2013 10:42:36 +0530

> Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:
>
>> Yes, it is.  I'm guessing that the above is due to the fact that
>> you missed many external programs that Emacs invokes to provide
>> some of its features.  Those programs exist in Windows ports ...
>
> I'm sure they do, but when I run a command, I don't think in which
> module that is, to me it is all Emacs.
>
> Perhaps my statement should be specified into: Emacs AND Linux is
> not the same as Emacs AND Windows. It doesn't matter if Emacs is
> the same, if it doesn't play the same in a new environment -
> perhaps Emacs should *not* be the same to make it work the same?

I have used Emacs on both Windows and Linux.  It is my observation that
when I am on my Emacs or Windows, I can pretty much forget the platform
altogether.

The main "issues" are in configuration and setup.  Once that is
surmounted, it is all easy.

> My .emacs broke on a dozen plus places - and the only thing I ever
> installed separately on Debian is some LaTeX stuff (that I
> remember).

You should tell us what exactly broke.  If you are sure that Emacs can
be improved or repaired, file bug reports with M-x report-emacs-bugs
RET.

A few words:

1. Don't rely on Third Party libraries particularly from Emacswiki.
2. Emacswiki is a great resource, but it is a big time-waster.
3. Don't try to customize too much.  I told you so already.