Re: does customizing a hook "add-to" the hook?

From: Michael Heerdegen
Subject: Re: does customizing a hook "add-to" the hook?
Date: Mon, 15 Jul 2013 03:12:44 +0200

> All relevant hooks I know are empty when declared in the sources.  So if
> you load your `custom-file' early enough when starting up Emacs (i.e.,
> before modifying hooks or loading packages), you don't need to worry
> about your or third party code adding stuff to the hook, that works
> normally.

To sum up, hooks are treated like any other variable when loading the
`custom-file', the hook variables are just set to the saved values.

These saved values are not checked in any sense.  If they include
functions that were defined when you saved the hook value, but not
defined when restoring it, you'll get an error when you run the hook.
So be careful with what you save.

Michael.