Long hangs in emacs under Cygwin X on Windows 7

From: William M. (Mike) Miller
Subject: Long hangs in emacs under Cygwin X on Windows 7
Date: Sat, 29 Jun 2013 10:19:47 -0400

Sometime in the last 2-3 weeks I've started experiencing long
hangs, as much as several minutes, at random times while using
emacs.  My environment is Cygwin X under Windows 7 64-bit.  I'm
not sure what changed, although I may have upgraded to the current
version of X around the time that this started.  Nothing else seems to
be affected, just emacs.  It happens equally with versions 24.2.1 and
24.3.1 of emacs.

The hangs occur randomly -- sometimes when bringing focus back to
the emacs window after using other windows for a while, sometimes
just between keystrokes.  It happens most frequently when I'm using
gdb in a window via M-x gdb; although it's certainly not exclusively
that, sometimes I can't type a single (relatively long) gdb command
without emacs freezing twice.  The system is not resource-limited:
it's a dual 3-GHz Xeon system with 12 GB of RAM.  The process
monitor shows basically nothing going on when I'm in the hung state.

Any thoughts or suggestions for how to diagnose the problem would
be most welcome.  Thanks.

--
William M. (Mike) Miller | Edison Design Group
william.m.miller@gmail.com