Re: Set initial buffer to eshell

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: Set initial buffer to eshell
Date: Fri, 28 Jun 2013 20:25:41 +0200

Kevin Rodgers <kevin.d.rodgers@gmail.com> writes:

>> I was wondering what the easiest change I could make to my
>> .emacs file to set the initial buffer to the eshell. I messed
>> around a little bit with initial-buffer-choice but this only
>> seemed helpful for launching to certain files.
>
> Why change .emacs?  Just invoke Emacs with:
>
> emacs -f eshell

Why is that better? I think changing .emacs is better. All Emacs
configuration/initiation should go into that file.

Granted, an absurd example, but just imagine an .emacs file of
several thousand lines - which is not uncommon - imagine putting
all that into aliases, functions, and scripts! Even if it would be
possible - which it isn't - it would be a *jungle*!

My system starts Emacs automatically when it starts (in
.zprofile), and it is just so much more convenient to change
.emacs - also, any changes to .emacs can be effectuated from
within an Emacs session, without having to restart.

--
Emanuel Berg - programmer (hire me! CV below)
computer projects: http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573