Re: package-mode, release notes?

From: Ted Zlatanov
Subject: Re: package-mode, release notes?
Date: Fri, 07 Jun 2013 09:09:00 -0400

On Thu, 06 Jun 2013 17:16:05 -0400 Stefan Monnier <monnier@iro.umontreal.ca>
wrote:

SM> Since this info is currently not in archive-contents, the easiest is to
SM> do it after downloading the package.
>> Why not make the command download the package if it's not downloaded,
>> then display the release notes if the download worked?

SM> Clearly, if it needs to be downloaded, then we ... hmm... need to
SM> download it ;-)

SM> download != installation (which is not equal to activation either, nor
SM> to compilation).

Right, I knew that :)  So this command will:

1) download the package if necessary
2) display the release notes according to the rules listed earlier in a
   help-buffer

...and it will have no interdependence with the installation process,
meaning that it will work with a package in any state.

Sounds good?
Ted