Re: package-mode, release notes?

From: Ted Zlatanov
Subject: Re: package-mode, release notes?
Date: Wed, 05 Jun 2013 11:28:06 -0400

On Tue, 04 Jun 2013 22:36:58 -0400 Stefan Monnier <monnier@iro.umontreal.ca>
wrote:

SM> A user-oriented description of change (as opposed to the commit
SM> messages which are typically developper-oriented).
SM> For example, compare Emacs's etc/NEWS and its ChangeLog.
>> So can we just say the file NEWS is the standard place for GNU ELPA
>> package release notes?

SM> We could, yes, for multi-file packages.  And for single-file packages,
SM> we could use a ";;; News:" section.

OK, that makes implementing the feature much easier:

- display a NEWS file anywhere in the package (or top-level only), or
- display the ";;; News:" section, or
- offer the ChangeLog?  Fail gracefully?  Something else.

So coming back to the original request:

>> On Mon, May 20, 2013 at 9:54 PM, Neal Becker <ndbecker2@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> I wish I could see the release notes when updating a package in
>>> package-mode.

Where in the update process should this happen?  Before (when marking),
during (in a log buffer), or after?

It seems best to give this information when marking which will also give
access to it from the package list in general.  During the update it's
too late to back out and log buffers are volatile.

Ted