Re: Reverting but keeping undo

From: Michael Heerdegen
Subject: Re: Reverting but keeping undo
Date: Thu, 30 May 2013 20:48:34 +0200

Hi Dan,

I'm neither for nor against this change, but try to understand why it's
good, once we discuss it here.

> Reading through all that, I can only conclude that you can't think of
> any reason why retaining undo history is bad.

I can think of one: inconsistency.  Generally, the undo history doesn't
belong to the newly read-in content.  It makes sense to throw away
an undo history if the buffer content is thrown away as well and
replaced by the saved file content (which can be anything).

What do I miss?

> I can easily think of reasons why it's good.
> I control compilation with file variables.
> If I change the file variables, a revert makes Emacs aware of the new
> values.  I certainly don't want to lose my undo history.

This is what `normal-mode' is for.  No reason to revert the buffer for
that.

Are there other reasons?

Regards,

Michael.