Re: Debugging Elisp

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Debugging Elisp
Date: Sat, 25 May 2013 20:43:45 -0400

> What you say here resonates to me. I have the impression (from pragmatic
> observations) that `toggle-debug-on-error' just shows the next first error,
> then none. While `M-: (setq debug-on-error t)' will work forever.

You misunderstood: toggle-debug-on-error is exactly the same as setting
via setq or set-variable.  What Pascal was referring to is that errors
that occur while running post-command-hook cause the corresponding
function to be removed from the hook (to try and prevent the error from
occurring over and over again), so such errors tend to "occur only once".

        Stefan