RE: setenv and find-file

From: Doug Lewan
Subject: RE: setenv and find-file
Date: Fri, 17 May 2013 21:07:51 +0000

Peter,

Sorry if I was too terse.

I see a problem when M-x find-file is expanding ${VARIABLE} but not taking it
from the newly defined environment variable. Everything else picks it up (I
presume just via fork/exec).

I hope this script is clearer.

In shell:
    $ echo ${VARIABLE}
    /a/very/long/path
    $ emacs &
Inside emacs:
    C-x C-f ${VARIABLE}/to/work                <== Finds
"/a/very/long/path/to/work".
    (setenv "VARIABLE" "/shorter/path")
        => "/shorter/path"
    M-! echo ${VARIABLE}
    "/shorter/path"
    M-x shell
In shell inside emacs:
    $ echo ${VARIABLE}
    "/shorter/path"
Back in emacs:
    C-x C-f ${VARIABLE}/to/Grandmothers/house
This finds the file "/a/very/long/path/to/Grandmothers/house", where I sort of
expect it to find "/shorter/path/to/Grandmothers/house".

,Douglas
Douglas Lewan
Shubert Ticketing
(201) 489-8600 ext 224

If the majority of cooking accidents happen in the kitchen, then why don't we
just cook in other rooms?