Re: Bind right shift and TAB won't work

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: Bind right shift and TAB won't work
Date: Mon, 13 May 2013 18:13:43 +0200

Barry Margolin <barmar@alum.mit.edu> writes:

> I think "in the console" means that X is *not* running.

Well, my question was on Emacs, which I run in the console (/dev/tty1,
a Linux VT) - and I almost never leave Emacs - *but*, I actually do
have an X server running. And, this is sometimes useful even for
CLI-only purposes. For example, I use the X clipboard to copy and
paste from one tty into another. As it shows on `where xo' (and `xi')
in zsh:

xo: aliased to xclip -d ":0" -selection clipboard -o
xi: aliased to xclip -d ":0" -selection clipboard

Perhaps there is a better way to do this (with screen?), but just to
illustrate how X can be useful even when you are not "using" it. I
thought it was kind of cute, anyway.
--
Emanuel Berg - programmer (hire me! CV below)
computer projects: http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573