Re: Does anyone really use emacs in terminal?

From: XeCycle
Subject: Re: Does anyone really use emacs in terminal?
Date: Sun, 05 May 2013 12:04:25 +0800

Steven Degutis <sbdegutis@gmail.com> writes:

> What's the use-case for having the terminal be able to act as an editor?
>
> For me it's rather the other way around, I use the terminal within my
> editor (eshell).
>
> Seems like there's no real point in supporting terminal-mode in a text
> editor these days.

There apparently are such use cases.

You may also argue on MSDOS support in Emacs; but of course, even
if we decided to drop this support, someone can still distribute
his fork of Emacs with MSDOS support.

The same with terminal support.

Indeed GUI isn't anything different.  We can also decide to
distribute Emacs with terminal support only, and let someone else
to distribute their GUI fork.

Therefore such argues are pointless.  As long as someone are
maintaining the relevant code, inclusion of the support does more
good than bad.

--
Carl Lei (XeCycle)
Department of Physics, Shanghai Jiao Tong University