Re: Editing text in Emacs then pasting into something like Outlook

From: Teemu Likonen
Subject: Re: Editing text in Emacs then pasting into something like Outlook
Date: Tue, 30 Apr 2013 17:37:53 +0300

Mark Ludwig [2013-04-30 14:29:20 +00:00] wrote:

> Has anyone written code to take a region or a file of plain ASCII text
> written in Emacs using classical block style (with paragraphs wrapped
> as in this e-mail) and transform it into something suitable for
> pasting into MS Word or Outlook as raw text? (I manually unwrap using
> M-^ and C-p interactively, starting at the end, backing up to the
> beginning.)

How about setting fill-column to a very large value, like 999999 and
then fill-paragraph (M-q)?

I use my own flowing-text-mode when editing text with one-line
paragraphs. Here's the definition:

    (define-derived-mode flowing-text-mode text-mode "Text[flow]"
      "Major mode for editing text with long flowing lines."
      (visual-line-mode 1)
      (whitespace-newline-mode 1)
      (set (make-local-variable 'tab-stop-list)
           (number-sequence 4 100 4))
      (setq indent-tabs-mode nil
            fill-column 99999))