Re: FTP to MS ftp server

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: FTP to MS ftp server
Date: Thu, 04 Apr 2013 11:09:28 +0200

Yuri Khan <yuri.v.khan@gmail.com> writes:

> On Wed, Apr 3, 2013 at 10:54 PM, Guido Van Hoecke <guivho@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> So again, I would be happy if Emacs would grok this MS-DOS format.
>
> I am not very well versed in Emacs’s implementation of FTP; a cursory
> reading suggests that it is handled by the ange-ftp module which has
> code to deal with VMS, MTS, CMS and BS2000 listings. You might be able
> to implement DOS listing parsing (or have it implemented for you) by
> following those as examples. In case you are not doing it yourself,
> you will need to provide the implementor with access to a suitable
> server.

Given, that ftp access to remote servers has not the importance any
longer as in the past, I fear that the Emacs maintainers are not too
enthusiastic writing such an ange-ftp backend. Neither for DOS format
nor for MLSD format (but the latter could attract a little bit more).
Patches from somebody else are welcome, of course.

Best regards, Michael.