configuring auto complete

From: Jannis
Subject: configuring auto complete
Date: Thu, 28 Mar 2013 16:35:34 +0100

Dear Emacs users,

i just installed autocomplete and try to configure emacs so that the results looks like here:

http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/ESSAuto-complete#toc3

I have this in my .emacs:

;; autocomplete stuff
(add-to-list 'load-path "~/.emacs.d/autocomplete/")
(require 'auto-complete-config)
(add-to-list 'ac-dictionary-directories "~/.emacs.d/autocomplete//ac-dict")
(ac-config-default)
(define-key ac-completing-map [tab] 'ac-complete)

However, these nice drop down menues as in the screenshot above do not show up. When I press tab, possible arguments etc just show up in another emacs buffer. Do I need to press any particular key? Do I need to do any specific configuration?

In addition now a browser window is opened automatically when I partially type a function name until only one possibility is left. Is it possible to switch this off?

Cheers
Jannis