Re: Rebinding keys

From: Nicolas Neuss
Subject: Re: Rebinding keys
Date: Mon, 25 Mar 2013 22:48:16 +0100

Peter Münster <pmlists@free.fr> writes:

> On Mon, Mar 25 2013, Nicolas Neuss wrote:
>
>>> Why is (insert "]") more useful than "ä"?
>>
>> I often write English texts.
>
> Thanks. So kind of "if LaTeX then English, else German".
> (Be aware, that you'll need to change your habits when LaTeXing German
> texts... ;)

Not really.  See below.

> If you ever need such special key-mappings outside of emacs, I recommend
> xmodmap.

Yes.  Maybe I wasn't clear enough, but on my Linux laptop I do the same
with my .xmodmap containing the following:

keycode 47 = bracketleft braceleft odiaeresis Odiaeresis odiaeresis Odiaeresis
keycode 48 = bracketright braceright adiaeresis Adiaeresis adiaeresis Adiaeresis
keycode 34 = backslash asciitilde udiaeresis Udiaeresis udiaeresis Udiaeresis
keycode 115 = Alt_L

[You see, that I can obtain the German umlaute as a two-key combination
with Alt-R.  So I lose a little bit of typing speed with those, but
\~{}[] (which are frequently used in LaTeX with any language) are
single-key characters and faster to type.]

However, I (or, more precisely, my son) has got a Macintosh Power Book
and wants to use Aquamacs.  Since, the .xmodmap technique does not work
(I still have to try the suggestion with Ukulele), I reverted to
redefining keys in Emacs as a first remedy.

> For example, I use the following script for switching between
> French and German:
>
> #!/bin/bash
>
> # change between french and german keyboard
>
> DIR=~/.fvwm
> FLAG=$DIR/french
> FRENCH=$DIR/Xmodmap.french
> GERMAN=$DIR/Xmodmap.german
>
> if [ "$1" = german ] || [ -f $FLAG -a -z "$1" ]; then
>       xmodmap $GERMAN
>       rm -f $FLAG
> else
>       xmodmap $FRENCH