Rebinding keys

From: Nicolas Neuss
Subject: Rebinding keys
Date: Mon, 25 Mar 2013 15:04:19 +0100

Hi,

for rebinding Umlaute keys on a German keyboard to bindings which are
more useful for LaTeX, I tried the following

(global-set-key (kbd "ä") '(lambda () (interactive) (insert "]")))

This works when writing normal text, but unfortunately, in search mode
(after C-s, for example), pressing the respective key still searches for
"ä".

Is there a better or more complete way to redefine that key?

Thank you,

Nicolas

P.S.: This is on a Mac with Aquamacs, but the same happens with Emacs 23
under Ubuntu.

P.S.2: Under Linux/X, I usually use .xmodmap for rebinding the umlaute
keys for all applications.  Does anyone here know of a similar key
rebinding for Aqua?