Re: How to pickle split window?

From: jpkotta
Subject: Re: How to pickle split window?
Date: Fri, 8 Mar 2013 07:32:54 -0800 (PST)

On Friday, March 8, 2013 5:32:17 AM UTC-6, Haines Brown wrote:
> I normally run emacs with split windows and so have
>

>    (split-window-horizontally)
>

> in its initialization file. However, I periodically interrupt work
>
> to run M-x gnus. When I close gnus, I am not returned to a split window,
>
> but to a single window.
>

> What can I do to return to the split window that displays my prior state
>
> automatically after closing gnus without having to do an emacs reload
>
> command with:
>

>   ;; Enable M-x reload
>
>   (defun reload () "Reloads .emacs interactively."
>
>     (interactive)
>
>     (load "~/.emacs"))
>

> Haines Brown

C-x r w <letter> saves the window configuration to the register specified with
<letter> (e.g. "a" or "z").  C-x r j <letter> restores the window config stored
in register <letter>.

There are many packages that save window configurations, see
http://emacswiki.org/emacs/CategoryWindows#toc4.  I like workgroups.el.