RE: define a keybinding for "find next alternate definition of lasttag s

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: define a keybinding for "find next alternate definition of lasttag specified"
Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2013 11:23:06 -0800

> (defun find-next-tag ()
>    "Find next tag with TAGS file"
>    ((kdb <C-u>) (kbd <M-.>)))
>
> (global-set-key [M-f9] 'find-next-tag)
>
> If a try Alt-F9 I get an error message reading "Wrong type argument:
> commandp, find-next-tag"
>
> I've tried it with the function names, too, but I got every time the
> same error message.  What's wrong and how to do it right?

First, the error msg means that your function needs to have an `interactive'
spec.  That's what makes an EmacsLisp function be a command.  See node `Using
Interactive' of the Elisp manual.

Second, the function body is no good.  This is what I would do:

(defun find-next-tag ()
  "..."
  (interactive)
  (find-tag t))

The non-nil argument tells `find-tag' that you want the next definition.

You can find this out by doing `C-h k M-.'.  That tells you that the function
you need to call is `find-tag', and it tells you that a non-nil first argument
NEXT-P corresponds to providing a prefix argument interactively.