Re: Emacs and Everything (~ locate) on Windows 8

From: Yuri Khan
Subject: Re: Emacs and Everything (~ locate) on Windows 8
Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2013 13:44:27 +0600

On Thu, Jan 17, 2013 at 7:51 PM, Sebastien Vauban
<wxhgmqzgwmuf@spammotel.com> wrote:

> - Everything (see http://www.voidtools.com/) apparently requires to run as an
>   administrator on Windows Vista, 7 and 8 -- I did not have any problem at all
>   under Windows XP

Under XP, the first user created during setup is automatically an
administrator unless you take specific steps to avoid it.

> I guess I'm not the only one using Emacs and Everything on a recent Windows
> platform. How did you solve this dilemna?

You could write (or have someone (possibly the developer of
Everything) write for you) an intermediate program that would start as
administrator, interact with Everything, and provide a programmatic
interface over some form of interprocess communication to low
privilege users. (Ideally, it would have to check the access rights of
the connecting user against the access lists of the directories the
user is trying to search.) You might be able to tweak the ES
commandline client, or borrow some of its code, to do that.

That said, Everything seems to be a very ugly piece of software, even
for a Windows program, from an architectural point of view. (It should
have its service part split off of the GUI part, and it should not
contain an implementation of a server for an extension of the FTP
protocol.)