Re: Emacs and Everything (~ locate) on Windows 8

From: Sebastien Vauban
Subject: Re: Emacs and Everything (~ locate) on Windows 8
Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2013 14:41:43 +0100

Jason Rumney wrote:
> On Thursday, 17 January 2013 20:51:55 UTC+8, Sebastien Vauban  wrote:
>
>> - Everything apparently requires to run as an
>>   administrator on Windows Vista, 7 and 8 -- I did not have any problem at
>> all
>>   under Windows XP
>
> The Emacs annoyances you describe are directly caused by trying to adapt
> Emacs to the deficiencies of non-Free software. Perhaps try another tool,
> such as GNU locate, which does not suffer such problems.

I doubt it's related to the fact that Everything is not open (well free
regarding the price).

Another tool such as locate could certainly work, though it's not
straightforward to set up under Cygwin, and locate's contents is only updated
every once in a while.

Everything, on the other hand, is always fully up-to-date. You move a file, it
already knows about that. Very practical.

Best regards,
  Seb

--
Sebastien Vauban