RE: emacs24 X primary selection changes

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: emacs24 X primary selection changes
Date: Thu, 3 Jan 2013 15:03:36 -0800

> > > (setq select-active-regions nil
> > >       mouse-drag-copy-region t
> > >       x-select-enable-primary t
> > >       x-select-enable-clipboard nil)
> > >
> > > to get sane selection/X interaction defaults back.
> >
> > +1 to getting back sane defaults.
>
> Are you also having this problem on MS Windows?

Not sure what "this problem" is, but yes, I had to change the default settings
as I described, to get back the previous, sane behavior.

> > But I use non-nil `x-select-enable-clipboard'.
>
> Probably the best answer for you on MS-Windows.  Does Windows have
> anything other than the clipboard?  I don't know.

It has no separate primary.

> > (And there is no `x-select-enable-primary' on MS Windows.)
>
> Well... Since I was asking about the X primary selection the above
> answer was perfect for me on a Unix or GNU machine.  The question is
> specifically about X Windows and not MS Windows.  On MS Windows I have
> no idea but assume there is only the Windows clipboard.  There
> wouldn't be an X cut buffer unless you have done something to install
> X Windows onto your MS machine.  I'd expect that to be very unusual.

Right.

> I don't know why the default was changed.  I assume it is further encroachment
of CUA mode
> to be more MS Windows like since I can't think of any other reason.

I can't speak for Emacs Dev obviously, and I might have misunderstood, but I
believe that all of the default changes wrt selection etc. were to bring Emacs
more into line with X Window.  AFAIK, nothing to do with CUA or MS Windows.