Re: Warning to those using rgrep on Mac OS X

From: Vagn Johansen
Subject: Re: Warning to those using rgrep on Mac OS X
Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2012 10:57:21 +0100

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

>> > Not exactly due to portability problems, but due to the fact that
>> > there are so many broken ports of 'find' and 'xargs', at least for
>> > Windows, out there.
>>
>> Why not use findstr on Windows then?
>
> If you mean by default, then the reason is that findstr is very weak
> and incompatible (or non-existent) on older versions of Windows.  One
> can customize Emacs to use it, of course.

OK. I think it is available on XP. Perhaps it has fewer command line
options than on Windows 7 where I looked at the help output.

> (My personal reason for not using findstr is that I don't want to
> learn yet another tool with yet another set of incompatible options.
> But that's me.)

I was thinking of the scenario where the user ran grep/rgrep and it just
worked on Windows because it used findstr underneath. So only one
person had to learn about it.

It would be pretty cool if people did not have to go hunting for a
grep.exe.

--
Vagn Johansen