[SOLVED] Re: emacs-23.1.90 in terminal does not respond to keyboard inpu

From: Richard Lemieux
Subject: [SOLVED] Re: emacs-23.1.90 in terminal does not respond to keyboard input, but works fine as a standalone X11 app.
Date: Tue, 04 Dec 2012 11:39:27 -0500

On 12/03/2012 08:26 PM, Richard Lemieux wrote:
Re: Emacs-23.1.90.1 on Slackware14.

Hi,

When I open Emacs-23.1.90.1 in a base Linux console or in a X11 xterm terminal, Emacs doen't respond to whatever I type. After Emacs is killed, all the characters I typed appear in the console/terminal.

I have seen one prior reference to this problem on the net but it did not provide any clue as to how to solve this issue. It just mentioned a link with Gtk.

This occurs following a system upgrade to Slackware14 64bit. I guess this problem comes from the new Gtk libraries that come with the update. The version of Emacs coming with the new Slackware14 works in a terminal but does not work with SCIM and I can't use Emacs to type Chinese characters this way (I understand it works with ibus with some setup). SCIM works fine in xterm and Thunderbird/Firefox.

Emacs-23.1.90.1 has worked well for me for a long time and it used to work both in terminals and with SCIM on X11, so I compiled Emacs-23.1.90.1 for x86_64 and it works fine with SCIM under the new Slackware. Unfortunately, but it does not work at all in a terminal.

So I am looking for a workaround that would allow Emacs-23.1.90.1 to work on a terminal under the new system. Does someone has some clue as to why Emacs-23.1.90.1 can't get keyboard input in this new setting?

Thanks
The problem was that Emacs (or some X11 library routine) needed some font that it could not find. At that point Emacs had access to the fonts provided by the basic X11 install plus the fonts coming with Linux. After I moved all the fonts from my older Linux partition to the newer one, the problem was gone. Unfortunately I can't tell which font was missing since I have accumulated too many fonts over the years.

So even when running Emacs in a 'linux' virtual console, one needs to have some particular font installed (setting of LANG had no effect if I recall correctly).

Although I know the problem was related to some font, I still can't tell why this specific choice of font is critical to the operation of Emacs on a dumb 'linux' console.