Re: [Emacs LISP] Login freenode using ERC with prompt for password only

From: Pascal J. Bourguignon
Subject: Re: [Emacs LISP] Login freenode using ERC with prompt for password only
Date: Sat, 01 Dec 2012 10:54:51 +0100

Wenshan Ren <renws1990@gmail.com> writes:

> Hello everyone, I am new to Emacs LISP and trying to write a emacs
> lisp, which hopefully will enable me to login irc without choosing
> server/port/nick.
>
> After reading "C-h f erc", I end up with
>
> (defun my-erc() (erc :server "irc.freenode.net" :port "6667" :nick
> "mynickname"))
>
> If I put `:pass "mypassword"` at the end of the list, it works
> fine. However, I don't want to put my password in .emacs, so I hope
> Emacs will ask me for password when needed.
>
> With the my-erc function I wrote, erc will login password and I have to
> identify myself afterwards.
>
> Could you give me some hints on solving this?

You could consider storing your irc password in ~/.authinfo, where other
passwords (for news, email, ftp, etc) can also be stored.

(require 'cl)
(defvar *authinfo-file* "~/.authinfo")
(defun password-for-machine-login (machine login)
   (cdr (assoc "password"
               (find-if (lambda (entry)
                           (and (string= machine (cdr (assoc "machine" entry)))
                                (string= login   (cdr (assoc "login" entry)))))
                         (netrc-parse *authinfo-file*)))))

(password-for-machine-login "irc.freenode.net" "pjb")
--> "XXXXXXXX"

or you can ask the password to the user each time (it grows old very
soon):

(defun password-for-machine-login (machine login)
   (let ((password-cache nil))
      (password-read (format "password for %s at %s ?" login machine))))