Re: OS question intimately related to my use of Emacs

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: OS question intimately related to my use of Emacs
Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2012 13:32:22 -0500

> the same as it does on the w32 build under Windows 7. I have an Xmodmap
> file in my (~) /home/me subdir but sometimes it must be run multiple
> times for the modkey reassignments to be seen by Emacs (loaded after
> booting from the desktop menu). I think I can put the "xmodmap Xmodmap"

There's a big mess in this area, indeed.  I think the culprit is Gnome
(which just doesn't want to take into account the fact that the user may
have some hand-made config files), but other environments might have
similar problems.

I recommend you post a bug report about this problem (you should be
able to demonstrate the problem without Emacs by checking the output of
`xmodmap').  Either to your distribution or to the desktop environment
you're using.

        Stefan