Re: IDE versus emacs

From: Vagn Johansen
Subject: Re: IDE versus emacs
Date: Sat, 06 Oct 2012 14:09:27 +0200

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

>> It would useful if the identifiers were tagged (pun intended) with the
>> the "type": class, method, static function, constant etc.
>>
>> For example find-tag could then support a customized
>> find-first/find-next order (eg. class first).
>>
>> You could also use it to make the function guess-class-name-at-point. I
>> have previously needed this for my tempo expansions for C++ member
>> functions.
>
> If you are talking about C++, Emacs already comes with a program
> called 'ebrowse' and a matching set of Emacs commands, which I think
> are supposed to support all that already.  I suggest to read the
> ebrowse manual (bundled with Emacs) and see if you can put that to
> good use.

I triede ebrowse when it came out. It is a flop and no one uses/talks
about it anymore. It might as well be removed from Emacs.

CEDET/Semantic is the new hotness. I try it every 2 years for a short
while. It always ends up slowing down my Emacs with various lockups
because of all the parsing it does. Perhaps it works better in 24.3?

I am not specifically talking about C++, that what just an example. I
would like see the TAGS file extended with a "type" field so that my
imagined guess-class-name-at-point function would work for *all*
programming languages. It would be nice if Emacs had a generic API(*)
for semantic information so that for example auto completion system
could be written without specific knowledge of the major-mode (~
programming language).

*) guess-class-name-at-point, find-class-for-identifier-at-point, etc.

--
Vagn Johansen