problems displaying utf-8-characters after reload

From: LanX
Subject: problems displaying utf-8-characters after reload
Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2012 12:23:41 -0700 (PDT)

Hi

Im writing perl code with POD dokumentation with german text.

typing umlauts is no problem, inspecting the letters in hexl-mode show perfect
encoding, saving is no problem but after reloading I don't see the umlauts
anymore but something like \301\156 (not the exact numbers, the file is at
work). But checking in hexl-mode shows again that the coding is right but the
display isn't.

Now after typing new umlauts I have no problem, but after saving and loading
the problem starts again.

I was able to reproduce the problem with that special file using emacs -Q.

describe-coding-system shows utf-8-unix

Any ideas what to do?

cheers
  Rolf